• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Risk of infection after hernia surgery

twentysix

Bluelighter
I have an odd immune system. I'm highly allergic- many substances cause reactions, however strong or weak. This began a couple of months after taking two rounds of antibiotics to kill a staph infection, that I got from a sauna. I believe I had many of the allergies before but they weren't much to complain about, except milk. I fear taking the antibiotics combined with my then high sugar diet caused an overgrowth of a harmful yeast, which has no, months down the line, caused a lot of problems. I have trouble taking probiotics, so I don't. Many systems have suffered.

So I'm having hernia surgery Thursday, and I've been dreading one thing more than anything... taking antibiotics.
What are your opinions on a wait-and-see approach in regard to any infection that might crop up? ...if I take care of the wound, clean it with antimicrobial substances... there's a good chance I won't get an infection. Might instead of taking them as insurance, taking them at first sign of infection make more sense?

I plan on taking my temperature every couple of hours for a few days.. monitoring the incision.

How does this sound?

I've had a similar experience in that I took minocycline(sp?) for about a year in order to try and treat my acne. Story cut short; Acne didn't go anywhere, and I feel that it did a lot of damage. Last time I had a very small operation on my back to remove this gigantic cysts I did not take any antibiotics even though the physician had told me too.

My advice: Don't necessarily take any oral antibiotics, but make sure that the area around your incision is always clean and disinfected.

Also, I've had hernia before and when I got it removed I do remember them always disinfecting the wound, but I was not on any antibiotic regiment.

^Thanks for your response. I had surgery Thursday, and much to my relief- no antibiotics.